Quantum Computing News
- Amazon Opens the AWS Center for Quantum Computing in Pasadena October 27, 2021Amazon had announced last year that it was building a new center for quantum computer research on the Caltech campus in Pasadena, California and they now have announced that its opening after a year of construction. The two-story 21,000 square foot (1950 square meters) facility will include office space, laboratories and everything needed for Amazon […]
- Qualcomm Ventures Invests in Quantum Machines October 26, 2021We reported on Quantum Machines raise of $50 million in a Series B round in September. They now have announced that Qualcomm Ventures will also become an investor in Quantum Machines as an extension to their Series B round. The amount of the investment was not disclosed. To our knowledge this is Quantum Ventures first […]
- Toshiba Develops a Three Chip Solution for QKD October 25, 2021Toshiba has developed a photonic integrated circuit solution that shrinks the core QKD functionality into three chips. Although these chips are still prototypes, they are built with standard semiconductor manufacturing process which could pave the way for future high volume production at competitive costs. The three chips are separated into the QTx transmitter chip, QRx […]
- Prescod-Weinstein returns to Waterloo to talk about her new book on particle physics and the limitation of science October 25, 2021Monday, October 25, 2021 Chanda Prescod-Weinstein (PhD, Physics 2011) will discuss her book The Disordered Cosmos: A Journey into Dark Matter, Spacetime, & Dreams Deferred on Monday, November 1 at 2:00 p.m. virtually at the Institute for Quantum Computing (IQC) at the University of Waterloo.
- Keynote Addresses at the IEEE Quantum Week Conference, October 18-22, 2021 October 24, 2021The IEEE held its second annual Quantum Week last week and it contained a ton of information about developments and outlooks for quantum technology. It is one of the largest and most comprehensive conferences that cover quantum technology and provides a good overview of all the activity going on with quantum research and the quantum […]
- IonQ Becomes the Third Corporate Member of UMD’s Quantum Startup Foundry October 23, 2021IonQ joins EY and The Mitre Corporation in supporting this new accelerator managed by the University of Maryland (UMD) for quantum startup companies. Perhaps this is not surprising as IonQ itself was a startup that spun out of quantum research activities at UMD. This activity is just one of many areas where IonQ and the […]
- Combatting crosstalk in quantum computers October 23, 2021Saturday, October 23, 2021 In an advance towards better control over large quantum computers, researchers have demonstrated a new tool to compensate for crosstalk in superconducting circuits.
- Experiments confirm a quantum material’s unique response to circularly polarized laser light October 22, 2021Scientists are probing topological insulators with circularly polarized light to reveal their many secrets. These exotic materials have potential for quantum computing and other technologies. They discovered that high harmonic generation produces a unique signature from the topological surface.
- Quantum battles in attoscience: Following three debates October 22, 2021The field of attoscience has been kickstarted by new advances in laser technology. Research began with studies of three particular processes. First, 'above-threshold ionization' (ATI), describing atoms which are ionized by more than the required number of photons. Second, 'high harmonic generation' (HHG) occurs when a target is illuminated by an intense laser pulse, causing […]
- An Orthodox rabbi and Steven Weinberg walk into an email exchange… October 22, 2021Ever since I posted my obituary for the great Steven Weinberg three months ago, I’ve gotten a steady trickle of emails—all of which I’ve appreciated enormously—from people who knew Steve, or were influenced by him, and who wanted to share their own thoughts and memories. Last week, I was contacted by one Moshe Katz, an […]
- Physicists describe photons’ characteristics to protect future quantum computing October 21, 2021Physicists have described in theoretical terms how to develop codes that cannot be broken by quantum computers -- computing devices of the future. These codes rely on distributing single photons that share a quantum character solely among the parties that wish to communicate.
- Welcome to scottaaronson.blog ! October 21, 2021If you’ve visited Shtetl-Optimized lately — which, uh, I suppose you have — you may have noticed that your URL was redirected from http://www.scottaaronson.com/blog to scottaaronson.blog. That’s because Automattic, which owns WordPress, volunteered to move my blog there from Bluehost, free of charge. If all goes according to plan, you should notice faster loading times, […]
- Multiverse Computing Lands a €10 Million ($11.5M USD) Seed Funding Round October 20, 2021Multiverse Computing is a quantum software company with headquarters in San Sebastian, Spain that specializes in providing quantum software solutions for the financial industry. Their flagship product is called Singularity that allows users to input their problem's parameters for applications such as portfolio optimization or fraud detection into a spreadsheet and then submit the spreadsheet […]
- ColdQuanta Forms Quantum Research as a Service (QRaaS) as a New Division October 20, 2021Although the division is new, it actually has been ColdQuanta's core business since they started and well before they decided to enter the quantum computing market. ColdQuanta has always offered a broad portfolio of quantum devices and machines for use in quantum systems and applications. These include such items as UHV glass cells, magneto-optical traps, […]
- Applications Due October 29th for a Jumpstart Workshop to Learn How to Test the Market Potential of Your Quantum Innovation October 19, 2021The Midwest I-Corps Node, in partnership with the Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation at the University of Chicago, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and Duality, is offering a Jumpstart workshop that will help teams explore the commercial viability of quantum technologies, including hardware and software solutions as well as quantum-enabling technologies. The workshop will consist of four two […]
- Berlin Quantum Alliance Launched with €25 Million ($29M USD) in Funding October 19, 2021The Berlin Senate is funding this effort with €25 million over a five year period. The funds will be split with €15 million to be used for basic research and €10 million to be used for applied research. The activities will focus on both quantum software including basic research and industry related applications as well […]
- aQuantum Announces Subscription Plans for Its QuantumPath Software Development Platform October 19, 2021QuantumPath is an ecosystem of tools, services and processes that simplify the development of quantum algorithms into hybrid information systems that support gate-based, quantum annealing and simulator backends. It consists of two component types. The first are QPath Core Modules which manage agnostic quantum algorithms & solutions (gate-based, quantum annealing) assisted by general purpose tools. […]
- Breakthrough proof clears path for quantum AI October 18, 2021Convolutional neural networks running on quantum computers have generated significant buzz for their potential to analyze quantum data better than classical computers can.
- Cutting through the noise: AI enables high-fidelity quantum computing October 18, 2021SANKEN researchers achieved over 95% accuracy when reading the output spin states of qubits by implementing machine learning. By using deep neural networks, the team was able to overcome noise in both simulated and real data sets from quantum dots. This work may lead to a proliferation of real-world quantum computers.
- Using quantum Parrondo’s random walks for encryption October 15, 2021SUTD has set out to apply concepts from quantum Parrondo's paradox in search of a working protocol for semiclassical encryption.
List of sources
Quantum Computers News — ScienceDaily https://www.sciencedaily.com/rss/…/quantum_computers.xml
MIT News – Quantum computing https://news.mit.edu/rss/topic/quantum-computing
Institute for Quantum Computing https://uwaterloo.ca/…/news.xml
quantum computing – News http://news.fnal.gov/tag/quantum-computing/feed/
Quantum Computing Report https://quantumcomputingreport.com/feed/
- Scott Aaronson https://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?feed=rss2
- Quantum World Association https://medium.com/feed/@quantum_wa